It supports adding rel-syndication/u-syndication links to your WordPress posts, pages, and comments, indicating where a syndicated copy is, in the form of a text or icon link. You can do this
manually and some plugins support automatically adding their links as well. The plugin contains a generic UI for syndicating to other sites through your site or a Micropub Client.
Privacy and Data Storage Information
This plugin stores syndication links, which can be attached to any post, page, or comment. They can be added to custom post types by filter.
For webmention initiated comments, this information will be added by parsing the source of the webmention.
It is assumed if you send a webmention, you consent to share this information if it is publicly shared on your page. Our recommendation
is that site owners should take down information on request.
For comments initiated on the site, there is built-in way to add these links. For posts, they are typically added by retrieving information stored by other plugins for display. It is assumed
that by installing this plugin, as its intent is to display these links, that you wish to display them.
Settings for the Syndication Links plugin can be found in the main WordPress “Settings” tab in the
admin dashboard, or if the Indieweb plugin is installed, under the Indieweb tab. The options provided allow for various ways of presenting the syndication links in posts. Syndication Links by default will add links to the content. You can remove this in your plugin if you wish to call the display function directly.
The settings include the following options as follows with either a set of buttons, a check box (with a check indicating that the feature is “on”) or an optional text field:
- Display Text – Offers options to display text only, icons only, icons and text, and no display(hidden icons).
- Size – Choice of small, medium, or large size icons.
- Black Icons – Checking the box defaults to a “black” social media icon set.
- Show on Front Page, Archive Page, and Search Results – If checked the icons will show on pages other than a single view. If not checked, the icons will be hidden by the links will remain.
- Show on Feed – If checked the icons will show in your RSS feed as well
- Text Before Links – This is the text that appears before the Display Text/Icons (as indicated above). The default text is “Syndicated to:” but can be modified if desired.
Note: The particular CSS of your theme may change the display and output of the text and some of the icons.
Supported POSSE plugins and implementations
The plugin supports automatically pulling data from plugins that syndicate your content so you don’t need to do it manually. For anything not built in, integation is easy with a simple filter for potential use with any other plugin.
- Social Networks Autoposter – Syndication Links supports Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr since version 1.0.0
- Tumblr Crosspostr – Supports Syndication Links since version 0.8.1
- WordPress Crossposter – Supports Syndication Links since version 0.3.2
- Diasposter – Supports Syndication Links since version 0.1.8
- WP-To_Twitter – Supported by the plugin since version 4.2.3
Using the optional Syndication feature(disabled by default) you can syndicate your posts to:
- Bridgy – Bridgy is a service that allows you to post to various sites. Signup is required. It currently supports Twitter, Github, Mastodon and Flickr. The plugin supports Bridgy Publish via webmention and via Micropub.
- Bridgy Fed – Bridgy Fed is a service that allows you to interact with federated social networks using webmentions.
- Micro.blog – Micro.blog is a social network and publishing platform for independent microblogs, created by Manton Reece. It uses a custom feed you can add to Micro.blog to support this.
- Pinboard – Pinboard is a bookmarking site. The support for this is currently only enabled if you have Post Kinds enabled, due to the difficulty in getting a URL. It will bookmark the URL of any object you are citing.
- Custom Webmention Syndication – Add any site that supports publishing by sending a webmention by configuring it in the settings page
Will be looking to integrate with other plugins to add more options and invite developers to add support if they wish as the interface is simple.
The goal of the interface is not only can you syndicate via Micropub, but in the editor using a simple checkbox.
In no particular order…
- The Indieweb community of users and all users of this plugin
- Meitar Moscovitz for fixes and code contributions related to support of the plugin in his various plugins.
- Justin Tadlock for the initial Social Icons design.
- Jihaisse and Peter Molnar for the SNAP, courtesy of WordPress Syndication
- Simple-Icons for their icon packs for logos. Simple Icons is licensed under CC0 v1.0 Universal.
- Genericons Neue for their generic icon packs. Genericons Neue is licensed under the GPLv2.
- Chris Aldrich for many suggestions on improving the display and for screenshots.
- PHPCS is used with the WordPress and PHP Compatibility Standards in order to ensure compatibility with supported versions of PHP and enact WordPress Coding Standards.
- GitHub Actions is used to actively test against various PHP versions
- Upload the folder ‘syndication-links’ to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
Or install through the WordPress Plugin Directory.
How do I prevent the links from being automatically added to the content?
You will have to add the following code to your theme
add_filter( 'syndication_links_display', '__return_false' );and then you can call get_syndication_links() directly in your theme. You should add
this to the init hook.
- `get_post_syndication_links( $post, $args ) – Returns the HTML for a post.
get_comment_syndication_links( $comment, $args ) - Returns the HTML for a comment.style
- Defaults to ultext
- Display text, defaults to settings optionicons
- Display icons, defaults to settings optioncontainer-css
- Class to wrap entire syndication links insingle-css
- Class to wrap a single link intext-css` – Class to wrap the text before the links in
If you add
?original-of=and the URL-encoded URL it will return the post that has that URL stored. As no two posts should have the same two syndication links it will by default only return the first.
If you want to do this with a form, there is a function you can add to your theme called
get_original_of_form()and a widget that calls this. Like the search form if you have a
originalofform.php in your theme folder the function will return it so you can customize the form.
What filters are available to modify output?
syn_rewrite_secure( $domains )– $domains is an array of domain names to rewrite to https if found
syn_metabox_types( $screens )– $screens would be an array of post types to add the Syndication Link metabox to.
syn_network_strings( $strings )– $strings is an array of descriptive text strings by domain name
syn_add_links( $urls, $post_ID )– (Deprecated) $urls is an array of retrieved links from $post_ID
get_post_syndication_links( $urls, $post_ID)– Replaces syn_add_links.
get_comment_syndication_links( $urls, $comment_ID– Filters an array of retrieved comment syndication links.
syn_links_display_defaults( $defaults )– Filter the defaults for displaying Syndication Links
syndication_link_checked( $checked, $uid, $post_ID )– Will check a syndication provider($uid) when loaded. The post ID is passed through to allow more specific targeting.
syndication_link_disabled( $disabled, $uid, $post_ID )– Will disable the checkbox for a syndication provider($uid) when loaded. The post ID is passed through to allow more specific targeting.
syn_link_title( $title, $name )– Allows you to set the title string for Links. Example, pinboard => Pinboard.
syn_link_mapping( $icon, $url )– Allows you to override or set the mapping from URL to icon name.
pre_syn_link_icon( $icon, $name )– Allows you to provide a custom icon. Icons by default are SVG, not URL or filenames.
syndication_links_display( true )– Adds Syndication Links to content display. Set to false if the theme supports this.
How do I contribute or file bug reports?
Development and bug reports on this plugin is on Github at https://github.com/dshanske/syndication-links
Contributors & Developers
“Syndication Links” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Syndication Links” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
Version 4.4.7 ( 2023-02-18 )
- Make posts always enabled for Syndication Links by default to try to address issues people had with same.
Version 4.4.6 ( 2023-02-10 )
- Emergency release to deal with critical error caused by removal of Bridgy settings.
Version 4.4.5 ( 2023-02-10 )
- Add labels to settings
- Fix load issues introduced in previous version
- Migrate Bridgy Specific settings to universal settings by reimplementing them for Micropub.
Version 4.4.4 ( 2023-01-24 )
- Remove support for Reddit which does not have a publishing option
- Per request developer of Bridgy only offer Micropub as a basic action
- Improve disabled and checkbox handling
- Improve WordPress to Micropub conversion and use function from Post Kinds
Version 4.4.3 ( 2023-01-02 )
- Improve response to error and store logs in a metafield.
Version 4.4.2 ( 2022-12-25 )
- Fix a miscalled function
- Adjust the load of options to better display
- Add notation regarding difference between Micropub and Webmention for Bridgy
Version 4.4.1 ( 2022-12-20 )
- Add function to shorten content to title for Twitter Micropub if longer than 280 characters
- Add function to shorten content to title for Mastodon Micropub if longer than 500 characters
- Fix respecting of excerpt settings for Twitter and Mastodon
- Fix issue with saving Syndication Links
Version 4.4.0 ( 2022-12-19 )
- Add filter to disable content addition
- Hide settings if not being used
- Refresh icons
- Decommission Meetup as no longer offered by Bridgy
- New Tabbed Settings Page
- Add options to select which post types will offer syndication and links
- Add option to disable use of wp cron and publish immediately
- Introduce support for Bridgy via Micropub
- Fix issue with Mastodon Autoposter
Version 4.3.11 ( 2022-05-14 )
- Refresh icons and CSS build logic
- Add function to determine mastodon URLs using the mastodon fields in user profiles
Version 4.3.10 ( 2022-02-13 )
- Refresh icons and other dependencies
- Save syndication on save, and publish on publish, whereas previously it would only save if you published.
Version 4.3.9 ( 2022-01-11 )
- Switch empty links to data tags.
- Switch to new query https://github.com/microdotblog/issues/issues/81 for microdotblog to save on multiple polling requests.
Version 4.3.8 ( 2022-01-08 )
- Refresh icons
- Fix issue where hidden links were still taking up space.
Version 4.3.7 ( 2021-11-02 )
- Refresh icons
Version 4.3.6 ( 2021-07-24 )
- Style change
Version 4.3.4 ( 2021-06-12 )
- Refresh icons
- Switch from id to class for syndication links wrapper
Version 4.3.3 ( 2021-02-28 )
- Fix issue with schema.
Version 4.3.2 ( 2021-02-28 )
pre_syndication_links_webmentionhook to allow you to clear cache before sending webmention.
- Fix various PHP errors.
Version 4.3.1 ( 2020-12-12 )
syn_link_namefilter that allows you to set the name string.
pre_syn_link_iconfilter to allow short circuiting the domain mapping and providing an SVG of your choice.
- Save last return in post meta for diagnostic purposes.
Version 4.3.0 ( 2020-10-13 )
- Refresh icons
- Add optional Pinboard POSSE that is only enabled with Post Kinds
Version 4.2.6 ( 2020-08-15 )
- Update dependencies
- Adjust publish hook to try to improve success
Version 4.2.5 ( 2020-08-03 )
- Change time delay syndication code to behave more like the ping/webmention code
Version 4.2.4 ( 2020-08-01 )
- Change how to decide to postpone syndication if post is scheduled as publish status can be in the future
- Add ?syndication query variable to allow for filtering archives by syndication link type
Version 4.2.3 ( 2020-06-28 )
- Add support for Reddit Via Bridgy
- Dependency and icon updates
- Add support for importing links from WP-To-Twitter ( props @tw2113)
- Removal of master branch in favor of trunk branch.
Version 4.2.2 ( 2020-03-26 )
- Add support for Meetup via Bridgy, props @ngm
- Dependency and icon updates
- Code organization cleanup, props @tw2113 and @asuh
Version 4.2.1 ( 2019-12-21 )
- Fix escaping issue
- Improve text for micro.blog syndication
- Add filter to allow checkboxes to be disabled or checked or both
Version 4.2.0 ( 2019-12-15 )
- Add support for Bridgy Mastodon ( props @CharlieRoseMarie )
- Check for empty values ( props @glueckpress )
- Enhance Syndication Metabox ( props @glueckpress )
- Refactor domain to icon mapping into separate class already there to map custom domains
- Fix issue where PHPCS was rewriting wordpress to WordPress
- Switch provider disable functionality to enable functionality
- Redo domain to icon mapping logic
- Add micro.blog POSSE support
Version 4.1.4 ( 2019-11-18 )
- Refresh icons
- Fix icon association to news.indieweb.org
Version 4.1.3 ( 2019-07-01 )
- Fix issue with providers not loading because of name change in webmention plugin
- Refresh icons
Version 4.1.2 ( 2019-05-12 )
- Update icon size to be relative
- Reschedule syndication if post status is in future
- Trigger edit post hook if syndication links are added to try to invalidate cache
Version 4.1.1 ( 2019-04-13 )
- Update icons
- Fix minor typo
- Attempt at cache busting
Version 4.1.0 ( 2019-02-09 )
- Switch to inline SVG over SVG sprites to reduce load size
- Add ability to configure arbitrary webmention POSSE providers on the settings page
Version 4.0.5 ( 2019-01-05 )
- Fix minor bug introduced in customizer by original of widget
Version 4.0.4 ( 2018-12-29 )
- Add setting to use the excerpt if set for Bridgy Publish to Twitter
- Indienews(news.indieweb.org) will no longer be a bundled provider per request due spam issues
- When automatically added to content wrap the links in an element for styling
- Add function
get_original_of_form()which creates a search for for the original of query which looks up posts by their syndication link
- Added widget that calls new original of form function
Version 4.0.3 ( 2018-12-08 )
- Checks for 5.0 compatibility.
Version 4.0.2 ( 2018-11-05 )
- Fix PHP notice about incorrect setting
- Restore Bridgy global settings options that were in the Bridgy plugin to disable the link back to the post and ignore whitespace
Version 4.0.1 ( 2018-11-03 )
- Fix issue with settings caused in previous version
- Add base Bridgy class to store settings
- Fix issue with display
Version 4.0.0 ( 2018-11-01 )
- Add support for syndicating posts using an interface to any arbitrary provider
- include support for syndicating from Micropub to any arbitrary provider
Version 3.4.1 ( 2018-05-06 )
- Refresh Simple Icons
- Remove internationalization of icon names
- Update development environment
- Add Syndication data to JSONFeed
- Do not add syndication information to the content of a jsonfeed
- Add privacy notice to readme
Version 3.4.0 ( 2018-03-03 )
- Updated Simple Icons to latest version
- Switched Genericons Neue to a submodule as the svg version was not distributed in the npm package
- Added support for Mastodon Auto Post per request. Unable to test due not using same
- Added support for Keyring Social Importer. Unable to test due not using same
- Simplified saving of metadata
- Changed Metabox to a dynamically generated array
Version 3.3.2 ( 2018-02-03 )
- Updated Simple Icons to latest version
Version 3.3.1 ( 2018-01-04 )
- Updated Simple Icons to latest version
- Support for pulling data out for SNAP out of Post Meta without dependence on SNAP classes
Version 3.3.0 ( 2017-12-?? )
- Switched to Simple Icons as larger, updated, and maintained more frequently than Automattic’s Social Icons repo
- Added in the Genericon Neue pack for when there is no logo for a site with a series of generic icons
- SVG Sprite only will be distributed instead of individual SVG files
- Icon colors automatically generated from Simple Icons repository
- Icon names automatically generated from Simple Icon repository
- New code to try and find an icon without hard coding the domain to icon relationship by trying to find the icon name inside the domain string.
- Development tools now configured for bringing in PHPCS Coding Standards and generating new files
- License information included for the plugin as well as dependencies
- Again, automation automation automation
Version 3.2.4 ( 2017-11-23 )
- Changelog will now note a release date
- Added/redid colors for many links
- Remove Social Support as Plugin is no longer listed in WordPress repository
- Add additional syndication icons
- Fix textdomain issues
- Add PHP Compatibility tests and textdomain tests
- PHPCS Improvements
- Add setting for disabling links in feed
- Remove H-Card Widget
- Break add
get_syndication_links functioninto smaller pieces ( props @Ruxton )
get_syndication_links_elementswhich returns array of anchor tags
get_syndication_links_display_defaultsto return default options
get_syndication_links_text_beforeto return textbefore on it’s own
- Add support for comment syndication links
- Add CSS for styling text before
- Fix documentation re priority of content filter
- Remove empty check as interfering with filter
- Add uniqueness check after filter
- Cleanup of settings attributes using enhancements available in WordPress 4.7
- Individual SVG icons and code to generate an SVG sprite now included in the plugin
- Option to have hidden links now available
- Small Medium and Large CSS files are included by option – generated by sass
- Option to disable links being added to content removed as they can now be hidden. Any theme that wants to call the display function directly will have to remove the content filter
- Add arguments to
get_syndication_linksto allow for customized presentation
?original-of=urlwith url being the syndication URL will return the original entry.
- Change storage of syndication links in order to match Micropub plugin. Storage is now array
- Remove old property once migrated to new
- Remove JSON REST filter as deprecated
- Add support for the official Medium plugin per request @chrisaldrich
- Compatibility update
- Add textdomain for language support
* Adjust close bracket
* Fix text display issue
* Remove icon fonts in favor of SVG * Remove rel-me support to move to implementation in Indieweb plugin * Remove h-card support to move to implementation in Indieweb plugin (it wasn't very good anyway) * Introduce new get_syndication_data function to abstract out storage
* Removed user meta code
* Minor Tweaks and Cleanup
* CSS fixes * Version number added to CSS import to avoid caching on update
* Misc. Bug Fixes * Bridgy Publish Support removed - new Bridgy plugin will handle that
* Rewritten to remove global scoping * Option to add URLs to the head of the home page for rel-me auth * Option to add URLs as a widget for rel-me auth
* Security Fix. Nothing new
* Refinements * Add support for pages and a filter to add additional content types
* Refinements * Addition of h-card widget. * Improvements to hooks * Addition of automatic information from SNAP and Social(courtesy WordPress Syndication). * Now supports second font choice and choice of color or black.
* Add hooks and functions to allow additional urls to be added
* Clean up the plugin for initial release to WordPress repository.
* Moved to simplified data structure. * Hidden migration function
* Rewriting using Grunt/SASS for more flexibility
* Customizable Networks finished. * Changed social icons CSS to automatically add only if the class for the list has social-icon in it.
* Settings Screen rewritten using WordPress Settings API. * Going to rewrite with customizable networks and thus option to disable sites you do not syndicate to. * Added social icons CSS to automatically add icons to anything in a <LI>
* Forked from the Semantic Comments plugin. Start of configurable options.