New Categories widget in the awesome style! Bring colours to your categories widget – make every category in its colour.
All colours are stored as term meta variables.
- custom taxonomies support
- manually customize colours for each category
- intelligent (automatic) colours selection
- different themes
- easy to customize
- responsive and flexible widget
- Unzip the archive on your computer
colorful-categoriesdirectory to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Add a widget to the sidebar on the page ‘Widgets’. You can change widget title, taxonomy, theme and show/hide posts count
- (optional) Customize colours on the page to manage categories (under the column ‘Color’)
How to assign new colour?
Open the page to edit tags or categories and change the colour in the column “Color”.
How does intelligent colour selection work?
The plugin does check if the category name contains one of the keywords and sets the pre-defined colour for this category.
For example, a category that contains Facebook will be coloured to a dark blue colour.
How to get a colour for a specific category?
Use WordPress default function: get_term_meta($term_id, ‘cc_color’, true);
Contributors & Developers
“Colorful Categories” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Colorful Categories” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Colorful Categories” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- WordPress 6.0 support.
- Fixed a problem with displaying.
- Improved plugin stability and security.
- Enhanced security.
- Minor changes.
- Fixed colors saving process.
- WordPress 5.4 support added.
- Removed column “Color” from the private taxonomies.
- Small code refactoring.
- WordPress 5.3 support added.
- WordPress 5.2 support added.
- Updated file-header information and readme.txt.
- Added filter ‘colorful_categories_term_text’.
- Added action ‘colorful_categories_styles’ to customize the output of theme styles.
- Small design improvements.
- Fixed functionality to handle translations.
- Small backend design improvements.
- Added class “current” to the categories that are currently selected.
- Updated functionality due to deprecated parameter in the function get_terms().
- Fixed compatibility with PHP 5.3-.
- Improved update script.
- Plugin completely updated to work with the WordPress term meta. All the stored data is moved from the options table to the terms meta table.
Fixed option “Show empty categories” in the widget settings.
- Compatibility with the latest version of WordPress.
- Minor improvements and optimization.
- Fixed issue with the browser cache.
- Fixed issue with an empty colour cell right after the adding of a new category/tag.
- Improved functionality: the colour will be removed from the database after removing the related term.
- Small minor improvements.
- Added a few new filters for better customization.
- A lot of small improvements, fixes and updates.
- Added field to limit categories to be displayed for the widget.
- Fixed field to select a theme.
- Added field to exclude categories from the widget.
- Fixed colours column.
- Fixed link to the term (category, tag, etc).
- Added support for non-hierarchical taxonomies.
- Added customizable message ‘List is empty’ in case there is nothing to display in the widget.
- Initial release.